By using this website, you accept our use of cookies. Want to know more?
Call us on  0845 603 5769

Change of name deed for a minor

Online legal documents

We can assist in the procedure for changing you or your child's name legally. This will involve creating a legal document to officially change the name, and normally separate documentation for the passport agency. We can also help advise in whether the other parent will need to give consent.

Provided a person does not wish to deceive or defraud anyone, they may call themselves by any name they choose. They may change their name informally and later swear a statement confirming the new name or they may change their name formally by a deed poll. If they wish, they may register the change of their name but there is no obligation. Certain people have an obligation to tell the immigration authorities if they change their name.

There is no requirement for a person to adopt any formality in changing their forename or surname. However, all UK government departments (including the Home Office Passport and Identity service), the DVLA and other official bodies won't recognise a name change unless a formal process is followed, so it is far better to change your name formally. You can do this in several ways: Statutory declaration, Deed poll, Royal licence, Coat of Arms (only Scotland) or Act of Parliament.

This 'DIY Fast Online Self Service' includes:

  • Free Guides
  • Access to our qualified solicitor if you are not sure you have chosen the right service for you.
  • Email support
  • A detailed but plain English guide on how to complete your forms and what to do next.
  • All of the forms you will need to complete the process.

Legal Document included in this service:

documentChange of name deed for minor
start now

Online Divorce Service - Useful information

If you are looking for further information regarding our online divorce services, you may find these other pages useful.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Call us today on 0845 603 5769 or make an Online Enquiry

Free Legal Advice - Visit us at the LawStore

Why not visit one of our Family Law Solicitors at The LawStore in Bromley, there is no need to make an appointment and we offer a free 15 minute consultation. The private and personal consultation with one of LawStore’s expert solicitors will enable you to seek free confidential advice about your legal issue.